This blog covers the following matters:
Please click on the button to jump to that section.
1. Details of the grants and how to make the claim
These grants are available from your local council. You may be eligible if you are registered for business rates.
There are two grant schemes:
Small Business Grant Funding – £10,000
- You are eligible for Small Business Rates Relief (SBRR), a one-off grant of £10,000 is being paid to you by your local council.
Cash Grant for Retail Hospitality and Leisure (RHLG)– Up to £25,000
- Key criteria for qualifying for this grant: being on the “Expanded Retail Discount” scheme for business rates (this scheme covers retail, hospitality and leisure)
Most councils have set up a claims system on their websites. You need to access this system and complete a form. For example, Norwich City Council established an application process on 2nd April 2020. The press is saying that some councils are already paying the grants.
The details of the scheme are complicated, and so we have included the full guidance from the Department for Business, Energy & Industry Strategy (BEIS) in section 3.
2. Information that you need
Norwich City Council requires the following information, and it is anticipated that this would be standard for all councils. You will find most of this information on a previous rates bill that you would have received in the past from the council. If you don’t have this information to hand, you will need to contact your local council to obtain it.
Business Details Required (to fill in the application)
- Grant Type: [SBRR or RHLG]
- Business Rates account reference number: [from rates bill]
- Type of business: [Limited Company, Sole trader, Partnership, Charity]
- VAT Reference: [9-digit VAT number if registered for VAT]
- Company Number: [from Companies House]
- Business Name: [Name]
- Property Reference Number: [From rates bill]
- Rateable Value: [From rates bill]
- Business Address: [Address of business]
- Email: [business email]
- Sort Code: [six digits]
- Account Number: [8 digits]
- Bank Name: [name on bank account – ideally same as business name]
- Please attach a copy of documentation from the bank e.g. statement, etc. with business name and address included:
- State Aid: No, I have not received state aid of more than £740,000 in the last 3 years
- Re-enter your email address to confirm: [business email]
This blog is continually updated by our strong team of professionals that are focused on working for you. TBLA has always been an accountancy practice at the growing edge of change. It is a client-centred team which is underpinned by a new philosophy of accounting that puts care at the centre of everything that we do. TBLA is an organisation where the team continually expand their capacity to create the results that matter, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where we are seeking to see the whole together.